Vol. II No. 11 6/1/2021
Baby Town Meeting (BTM) presented by Finance Committee May 26 via Zoom
Present: Finance Chair Jay Bikofsky and Members Diane Rous, Pam Boudreau, Neil Holden, Steve Shatz, Bill Vogt, Jim Balfanz
Also: Michael Canales, Administrator, Roxanne McCaffrey, Patrick White, SB
- Bikofsky called meeting to order. Prior to commencing BTM, the Finance Committee minutes approved; Warrant Article 27 was amended. Moved that amount for treatment of trees in Ice Glan increase from $30,000 to $70,000, seconded, and approved unanimously
- BTM commenced. Chair explained Budget will be presented in three sections: Operating budget items; Community Preservation items, and debt. After each section, questions entertained.
- Steve Shatz presented the operating budget summary. "Under general Government, you will see a budget of $1,263, 130 which represents a decrease of $8454." Public Safety was up $17,587; Education up $217,652; Public works and facilities down $74,395 (Shatz explained that is due to not hiring a Highway Superintendent, however, that money may be spent elsewhere); Human Services down $7909 (VNA out of business); Culture and recreation up $6903 (better care of Town beach); debt service down $24,397; (an item titled undesignated was actually insurance and unexpected employee expenses) up $29,487. Shatz concluded, "overall the approximate $10.7 million budget was up about $156,000, but if you take out education, it was down $61,098." There were no questions.
- Bill Vogt presented the CPC items — Articles 7 — 22 (see above under Town Meeting Warrant). Questions: Rous - What part of the funds awarded are from the state/which from town monies? Canales will get answer. Question Peter Strauss — asked about phrase "and any other action"? Canales explained that was only there for other action at Town Meeting and will be deleted after Article voted upon.
- Articles 23 — 37 funded by Free Cash. Shatz added, "does not affect Tax levy."
- Final three financial Articles 38 39 and 40 funded with borrowing. No questions.
Chair explained only financial Articles discussed at BTM — having concluded those — Meeting adjourned.
Photo: Patrick White