Vol. II No. 12 6/15/2021
Notes from the Board of Assessors Meeting June 7 via Zoom
- Doug Goudey, Chair
- Tom Stokes
- Gary Pitney
- Michael Blay
- Gary Pitney nominated Chair – approved unanimously.
- Town Offices open. Front and back doors open. Visitors' wearing of masks is optional. Any Town employee will wear mask if requested.
- Town Meeting -- no rain date necessary – if it rains attendees can move inside.
- Motor vehicle tax abatements – one uncollected; personal property tax – one uncollected.
- New lien on Highlawn Farm (See Reader to Reader)
- New map changes made, and map posted online.
- The new map identifies the number of "owner unknown" properties. These appear to be very small (not buildable) pieces of land. The questions were: should the Town work to identify owners where possible? Should the Town Assessor value the property? (While there is no one from whom to collect taxes now, there may be in the future.)
- Stokes recommended contacting abutters who may have information on ownership, or an interest in purchasing. The recommendation was accepted.
- Possibly there may be an avenue for the Town to acquire such properties. The matter was continued.
- The Exemption Pilot Program
- Pilot Program asks for contributions in lieu of taxes from properties exempt from paying taxes. Stokes reported the program is "stalled until Fall".
- White asked if the committee considered returning the $2000 contribution sent to Town by Riverbrook. Stokes said no "it would set a bad precedent."
Pollen inundated the Bowl's eastern shore this past week.