Vol. II No. 15 8/1/2021
Notes from Agriculture and Forestry Commission, July 12, Hybrid Meeting
- Matt Boudreau, Chair
- Lisa Bozzuto
- Eric Rasmussen
- Shelby Marshall
Also present Michael Canales, Kevin "Moose" Foran
- "Moose" Foran introduced himself and said he manages a "six-acre stand of old growth tree in Bullard Woods". He would like to connect with this Commission and determine if it could help Bullard Woods. He was welcomed.
- Chair reported that he contacted Mark Faber, Tree Warden, about Tree City – a program "greening communities across the country" and the Old Growth Network.
- Awaiting estimate which will be a cost-per-tree fee for spray treatment in Ice Glen. As many trees will be treated as possible with the $70,000 awarded in Town Meeting. Using the spray method (as opposed to soil drench or injection) should protect about 150 trees for 1–2-years.
- Suggestion to communicate with the Old Growth Network and Laurel Hill Association – LHA owns the adjoining property.
- A Forester (name unintelligible) was recommended for Ice Glen and there seemed to be general agreement as to his qualifications. It was moved and approved to pass name to SB (as SB does thew hiring).
- Discussion moved to Forest Stewardship grants.
- Rasmussen suggested there was "not much money" in these grants.
- Bozzuto agreed these were small money grant, but application was "worth it" to provide experience; also the smaller grants help qualify for larger grants.
- Marshall explained that to qualify there must be 10 acres or more of forest. He explained there are large forest areas in Stockbridge, e.g. 275 acres on Rte. 102 at the town line. Also, there are small and important plots such as forestland around Lake Averic. These small plots that might be put together to form 10 + acres to qualify for a grant.
- Chair suggested, for now, focus on Ice Glen only – accepted. Action: put together Stewardship Grant for Ice Glen and pass to Canales for completion and submission.
- Suppression Grants — these apparently relate to fire suppression in forested areas. It was suggested that Stockbridge might have a better chance at receiving a Suppression Grant in coordination with another town(s).
- Chair arranged to communicate further with "Moose" re: Bullard Woods.
Photo: Lionel Delevingne