Vol. II No. 15 8/1/2021
Notes from the Historic Preservation Commission, July 26 Hybrid Meeting
- Carl Sprague, Chair
- Peter Williams
- Jorja Marsden
- Lisa Sauer
- In Sprague's absence, Williams called the meeting to order and introduced new Commission member Chantelle Rhind. Sprague joined meeting.
- 320 Old Stockbridge Road (Merrywood) represented by owner Richard Lobo and architect Michael Valenti.
- Merrywood is a Berkshire Cottage
- Through word and picture, Valenti told the story of Merrywood since it was built in 1882 – Peabody and Stearns architects.
- Originally a private residence, then a music school, and now a private residence.
- Vacant and deteriorating for a number of years, possibly decades, to sustain the architectural integrity and historic authenticity, replication is more practical than restoration.
- Williams moved that "not a substantial alteration of a significant historic building according to the bylaw." Passed unanimously – construction can proceed.
- Jane Iredale – Interlaken Road. Permission to tear down a Sports Camp building (circa 1961). Moved: The building is not of historic significance. Permission to demolish granted.
- Sprague wanted to discuss the Cottage bylaw.
- A list of the Cottages was distributed (Carole Owens thanked)
- Historic Preservation Commission will be available to Planning Board if any determination or evaluation is needed.
- Sauer liked the original Great Estates Bylaw. Anita Schwerner explained that version was struck down in land court.
- Sprague pointed out that over time there was a change. The original bylaw was intended to preserve history and the historic structure. The intent of later versions focused on the land and land development.
Photo: Joan Gallos