Vol. II No. 15 8/1/2021
Stockbridge Bowl Stewardship Commission July 16 Hybrid Meeting
- Jamie Minacci, Chair
- John Loiodice
- Michael Nathan
- Charlie Kenny
- Gary Kleinerman
- Roxanne McCaffrey
- Mike Buffoni
Also present Anita Schwerner, Elaine Cohen
- Minutes approved as corrected.
- SU correction: "Mike Buffoni and Pat Kennelly from SOLitude did water testing and will have analysis later". It should read: "Mike Buffoni and coworker Mark Viola did water testing and will have analysis later." (Chuck Kohrer took them out in his boat.)
- Although now a commission, SBSC still does not have a secretary, Loiodice took minutes.
- Going alphabetically a Commission member will take minutes until secretary appointed.
- Harvesting – Minacchi reported ConCom signed the Notice Of Intent (NOI) and now must wait the 10 days mandated for approval from the Commonwealth.
- Nathan suggested the commission send photographs (aerials he took) to NHESP to show percentage of lake covered with lily pads. McCaffrey seemed to disagree. Buffoni feared the inlet would fill in completely if not harvested. Kenny pointed out apparent disagreement between Nathan and McCaffrey and asked each to define position as step toward resolution. Nathan wanted to submit to NHESP; McCaffrey wanted to submit question to Town Counsel.
Kleinerman stepped in and suggested he submit the photos to Michael Gorski, Regional Director, Department of Environmental Protection (Mass DEP). General agreement.
- The trees near the boat launch – a stand of oaks and a maple — were discussed. There was agreement that immediate action was needed. A question arose: would the trees be removed or saved?
- Again, the chain link fence was discussed. Apparently, the only issue is removing part from the water. Kleinerman said he understood SB said chain link fences were illegal. McCaffrey said "no, only Patrick White thinks that, not the SB." She said her reading of bylaw was that chain link fences are illegal only if they can be seen from the road. There was a question about whether that fence was grandfathered but determining that would necessitate knowing two things – when the bylaw was passed and when the fence was installed. Kleinerman guessed Ed and Diane Darin installed it in the 1990s.
- Kleinerman mentioned a "Section 91 that makes it permissible for people to walk along the shoreline and over docks." Kleinerman continued, "It requires dock owners to have steps on either side of dock, but no one does." Kleinerman was probably referring to the Public Waterfront Act Chapter 91 that "Preserves pedestrian access along the water's edge for fishing, fowling and navigation...provides facilities to enhance public use and enjoyment of the water. Seeks to protect and extend public strolling rights, as well as public navigation rights."
- With the heavy rains the parking lot at the boat launch is washing away. Buffoni was asked what to do and suggested partial paving and directing the water so it does not go straight into the lake.
- Buffoni said that Shadow Brook Pond, Lily Pond and Duck Pond Brook are very full from from the heavy rains. Kenny asked about runoff into lake. Buffoni said the rain presents as opportunity to check Infiltration and Inflow (I&I).
- Loiodice reported on Lake Drive Association desire to be on town sewer and the problem associated with asking them to absorb the cost. Question: could some or all of the $500,000 (discussed in last issue of SU Town Square) be used?
- Stockbridge Zoning Bylaw: 6.18 Fences and Walls
"Chain link and wire mesh fences are prohibited in all but the Manufacturing District unless said fence is visually screened from adjacent properties, including roadways, throughout the entire year."
Tips on reading a zoning bylaw: The first line is the law: "chain link and wire mesh fences are prohibited". The prohibition is followed by exceptions if any: (a) except in a Manufacturing District (b) except when fence is visually screened throughout the entire year. Further clarification may then follow: "screened from adjacent properties" even if the adjacent property is a roadway.
- Under the heading of small world: Diane Darin was my house guest as I played the SBSC meeting. She confirmed she and Ed did not install the fence, and she does not know when it was installed.
Photo: Lionel Delevingne