Vol. III No. 05 3/1/2022
Notes from the Board of Assessors, February 22, Hybrid meeting
- Gary Pitney, Chair
- Doug Goudey
- Tom Stokes
- Michael Blay, Assessor
- Blay submitted Board of Assessor's report for Town annual report on time (due 2/22/22)
- Letter to Canales requesting transfer and release of $20,000 from the Overlay account to cover costs for the required certification
- In 2014 Verizon New England took Department of Revenue (DOR) to court over valuation method. Verizon won and was issued refunds for the years 2014, 15, 16, 17, and 2018. They are currently working with DOR to agree upon a method to avoid going to court again. DOR typically does the valuation of Verizon New England and Tennessee Gas. We hire consultant to do the others such as National Grid.
- Blay has been in Stockbridge 27 years and this year has seen the most changes due to the number of real estate sales.
- Stokes reported on PILOT program (Pay in lieu of taxes) wherein nonprofits pay Town in lieu of taxes. There are 3 committee members (Stokes, Peter Strauss, and Jay Bykofsky). The SB will appoint a fourth member.
- ABC forms due March 1. Should include use of tax-exempt property to be sure use fits guidelines for tax exempt
- Chair moved meeting into executive session
Public Meeting adjourned
Editor's note: 1. Mass ABC tax forms are required of nonprofit organizations. What ABC stands for not provided 2. The overlay account is an account to fund abatements and exemptions of real and personal property taxes
Photo: Jay Rhind