Vol. III No. 11 6/1/2022
Notes from the Cemetery Commission, May 24, Hybrid Meeting
- Karen Marshall, Chair
- Patrick White
- Pat Flinn
- Terry Iemolini, Town Clerk
- Michael Canales, Town Administrator
- Candace Currie via Zoom
- Minutes approved as written
- Discussion about sewer line that serves one home and runs through the cemetery. Moving it, or somehow reconfiguring the road, would create more burial space. It is being looked into.
- Work is continuing on cemetery garage.
- Eleven cement posts are being replaced with marble posts. It was discovered that one more, a 12th, is needed
- The policy and application for events to take place in the cemetery was discussed in detail. A revised edition of both policy and application will be presented at next meeting for review and vote by the commission.
- White asked if a copy of each could be displayed to make discussion easier to follow — not available
- Determined the applications would be approved by the Chair only, and unlike every other Commission, not brought before Commission.
- Canales said this whole process was initiated by a single event proposed for the cemetery in 2021. Not clear if event took place. Otherwise, for many years, the only "events" in the cemetery have been the Sedgwick family gathering and Stockbridge Library guided tours
- Rich Atwood presented information about burials. (It appeared he was hired to oversee burials after Chris Marsden left?) No one is charged for burial, no one "owns" a plot, and only residents can be buried in Stockbridge cemetery.
- Nonresidents cannot be buried in Stockbridge cemetery even if their parents are
- Canales read bylaw and said the term "landowner" appears. He said that may create a problem and bylaw might be reviewed.
- Currie asked about grave liners. Rich said, concrete liners
- Currie asked about Green burials. Rich said they were "a long-term maintenance problem" and suggested there be a green burial area of the cemetery
- Brief discussion by Chair of dates when she would not be available for meetings. Postpone? Name a vice chair to convene meeting? What if an application arrives while she is away? Chair was "tempted to wait for July" to have meeting since she is unavailable in June.
Photo: Jay Rhind