Vol. III No. 14 7/15/2022
Notes from the Stockbridge Bowl Stewardship Commission, July 1, Hybrid meeting
- John Loiodice, Vice Chair
- Roxanne McCaffrey, Chair
- Michael Nathan
- John Hart
- Gary Kleinerman
- Patrick White
- Michael Canales
- Loiodice called the meeting to order
- First order of business was to elect a new chair and vice chair. Loiodice entertained nominations: McCaffrey and Loiodice nominated and elected
- McCaffrey said SBSC meets twice a month from March to November on first and third Friday. Once a month otherwise. Asked for approval and for right to call extra meeting if needed
- Meeting schedule approved
- Status of Lake Management Plan (LMP) — waiting for GZA response
- Status of dredging permit process — waiting for GZA and costing for dredging
- GZA has requested an additional $112,000
- White asked: what is this extra charge based on?
- Biggest increase in water quality testing — Canales will question GZA about basis for increase
- Questioned why any increase when work not completed
- Is this for work anticipated after approval of dredging permit?
- White asked why Stockbridge should pay if GZA bid wrong initially?
- McCaffrey wanted an "eco-system" inventory; White said Coote completed a wildlife inventory and created a comprehensive list
- Pat Kennelly was asked about the new test plots requested by SBA.
- DEP is reviewing the request.
- No harvesting in old or proposed test plots.
- Nathan said that Town could harvest The Outlet. In the meantime, Nathan asked if SBA could call DEP and "get a sense of when to expect answers". Nathan added the summer is too short, should write or call Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program (NHESP) is case they have to sign off as well
- Harvester report — no news
- One harvester working
- The other awaiting a new motor — could be 1 to 1 1/2 years
- Are there alternatives such as renting or borrowing?
- White observed there are no employees on Town Beach ( position advertised and no applicants)
The meeting adjourned
Editor's note: Dr. Thomas Coote is the Coordinator of Sustainability Programming, a lecturer in Environmental Studies, and consultant to Stockbridge with respect to The Bowl.
Stockbridge Bowl. Photo: Gabrielle K. Murphy