Vol. III No. 16 8/15/2022
Notes from the Board of Assessors, August 1, Hybrid meeting
- Gary Pitney, Chair
- Doug Goudey
- Michael Blay, Assessor
- Certain buildings are tax exempt such as our Firehouse and Town Offices — 157 exempt parcels but Assessor still has to attach value to exempt properties
- In midst of doing certifications for Department of Revenue
Commercial properties, utilities done — residential and wireless companies to complete
- Preliminary certification end of August
- Public disclosure of new values can be seen by public at Library or call Town Offices
- Then final certification
- Discussion of Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum request for 501c3 status
- Board has questions in order to decide
- Contact Town Counsel to review and/or add to questions
- For example, do they have displays or programing for the public? Is it self-guided or docents? What percent of time is for benefit of the public?
- They have a catering company for profit events — what percent of time?
- Questions should be consistent for every applicant so that the basis on which decision made will be consistent.
Editor's Note: Every five years the DOR completes a comprehensive audit of the Town's records and procedures for certification.
Stockbridge rattlesnake. Photo: James Lawson