Vol. III No. 24 12/15/2022
Notes from the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA), November 29, Hybrid meeting
- Thomas Schuler, Chair
- Miles Moffatt, Acting Chair
- Jim Murray
- Mark Mills
- John Hyson
- Catherine Chester
- Patricia Andrews
- Attorney Elizabeth Goodman, on behalf of 22 Beachwood, appealed the finding on a special permit to subdivide a 3.89-acre lot into two lots — one two acres and the other 1.89
- Stockbridge Town Counsel advised against the appeal because the requirement in Beachwood is for a minimum of 2-acre lots. She cited precedence
- Goodman argued that the ZBA has discretion
- Schuler argued that the ZBA does not have discretion. They are not a policy-making board. ZBA is a policy-implementing board and the policy, in this case, the zoning bylaw is clear.
- Perlmutter explained his love for Stockbridge and his desire to gift each of his two sons a buildable lot
- ZBA members expressed sympathy for the position Mr. Perlmutter finds himself in, but said their hands were tied.
- Schuler suggested Perlmutter go to Town Meeting and ask the policymakers (the people) to change the zoning bylaw.
- The vote denying the appeal was unanimous.
Photo: Blue Moon Images/Dana Goedewaagen