Vol. III No. 9 5/1/2022
From Our Candidates — Roxanne McCaffrey
Candidate for Select Board
I originally ran for office because the idea that we could respectfully disagree had fallen by the wayside and I wished to return to a less divisive dialogue. Certainly, the Select Board has been radically altered in that regard. I say "we" since we function as a team and have authority only as a group. None of us are in this alone.
During my tenure on the Select Board, concerns have been addressed and acted upon:
- Infrastructure Deficiencies and Public Property Maintenance
- Environmental Protection
- Historic Preservation
- Community Preservation Act funding (taxpayer $$) actively sought and awarded for Town Projects
- Budgeting Process improved
- Repurposing of Town assets; i.e. historic stonework retained from Larrywaug Bridge and redeployed to Gould Meadows for a stone wall
A "test" of the Select Board unanimous design choice for the Red Lion Inn intersection was implemented and has proven successful in reducing the number of incidents by approx. 50%. I would like the public to better understand this design, its benefits and the actual cost before proceeding. Several meetings have presented and discussed this proposal, information was posted on the town website and Berkshire Eagle articles have been written about this plan, we would like to see more participation and understanding of the details by the public.
During my time in office, much has been accomplished and yet our property tax rates have decreased:
- 2019 — 10.13
- 2020 — 9.87
- 2021 — 9.78
- 2022 — 9.38
I have focused on the fiduciary responsibility of the Select Board, the implementation of best business practices and a cooperative relationship between town boards and committees. I am readily accessible to all. The responsibility of elected officials is to hear ALL opinions not just the loudest, but also the meekest among us.
I personally pledge to:
- Continue to work cooperatively with others
- Respect the limitation of authority of the Select Board and respect the authority of other elected officials
- Listen, remain open to all opinions, research data and objectively weigh my decisions.
- I will NEVER compromise facts or my integrity to garner votes or popularity
- I have personal opinions, but no agendas. I recognize that my personal opinion may not represent the majority and accede to that as my responsibility.
It is an honor to serve, and I hope you feel I deserve your vote to maintain consistency in effective Town governance.
Naumkeag planter. Photo: Patrick White