Vol. IV No. 10 5/15/2023
Michael Nathan: Candidate for Parks and Recreation 2023
What prompted you to run?
Parks and Recreation improve our quality of life immensely. Every age group and demographic, our children, young parents, elderly, we all benefit from our parks and beaches, new sports and recreation areas. I am running because I want to add to the already many accomplishments achieved by this Commission.
If elected, what would be your primary focus?
I met with every member of Parks and Rec, including Steve Knopf, the current chair, the Town Administrator, and the Select-Board Chair to discuss what was needed to make Parks and Recs an even greater asset to Stockbridge.
I would help create a clear master plan, a blueprint for short, medium and long-term goals that everyone can understand and collectively work towards.
I will work closely with town citizens and departments, brainstorming ideas and work on what Stockbridge needs.
We should reach out to non-profits that might join us in donating their talents or spaces to expand programming. They could join us to educate and entertain our residents. This may perhaps include student musicians from Tanglewood, yoga lessons from Kripalu, and gardening lessons from Berkshire Botanical Garden.
What would you like voters to know about you?
As a full-time Stockbridge resident for 28 years, I have always worked on town projects.
I am entrepreneurial. At 27 (45 years ago), I started my company — designing leading edge sporting accessories for runners and cyclists. "Nathan Sports" is in every major sports retailer and specialty store.
I want to bring my drive, focus and organizational experience to Parks & Recreation.
My town experiences include:
- Chairing the Stockbridge Bowl Stewardship Commission; helping draft the Stockbridge Lake Management Plan.
- Currently on the Stockbridge Bowl Dredging Committee; coordinating with state agencies, NHESP, DEP and our engineering company (GZA).
- On the board of the Stockbridge Bowl Association-. Helped to raise over $2,000,000 for the Stockbridge Dredging/Restoration project.
- Co-founded the Zebra Mussel Monitoring Program protecting the Bowl from invasive Zebra Mussels. Kudos to monitors- no z-mussels so far!
- I drive the Bowl harvester in coordination with the Stockbridge Highway Dept.
- Served as President of the Lake Drive Association for 6 years, during which we wrote our bylaws guiding the growth we are now experiencing.
- There is much to be done and I hope you will join me in making Parks and Recreation an even greater part of our lives.
Photo: Gabrielle Murphy